Friday 10 February 2012

Day 18

Although I pretty much spend almost every waking moment eating food, talking about food, cooking food, buying food, and now writing about food, occasionally I do stumble upon a sobering moment and something else catches my attention.

Today was one of those days.  Today I woke up at 5am to walk with a group of five 2 years old lions by 7am.  At almost 2 years old, they already weigh over 200 lbs.

I'm in Polokwane, staying at the Protea Ranch, where there's a lion conservatory in the back yard. In the summer, it's best to get up early to go walking with them otherwise it gets too hot. I came to understand this halfway through our walk. I've walked with lions (different ones every time) in the winter and fall but this time as the morning progresses, and the heat started to rise, I can see the lions panting, slowing down, and laying down much more than usual.

No matter how many times I've walked with lions, each time is just as surreal as the last. It is absolutely surreal to have lions graze my legs as I'm walking. Absolutely surreal to have them nudge me a little with their head from behind as they're trying to pass by to get to each other.  Absolutely surreal to be standing there surrounded by a group of lions and not feeling any fear. Or standing right next to a lion, looking over a small pond and an open field together watching another lions disappear into the tall grass only to see it again as it jumps up to pounce on yet another lion. Watching them play and pounce and cuddling up to one another, it's hard to remember that they are LIONS. They were so cute I just wanted to jump in and play with them.

However, I am quickly reminded of their strength and power because although they are very quiet, when one comes up to you from behind, you definitely feel their presence.

I want a pet lion.

Onward to Kruger....stay tune...

No comments:

Post a Comment